Locker Discs - Mould making

In order to provide some security when taking 'Tiny' to shows I wanted someway to secure the lockers. Following a bit of research I found other owners are using an aluminium disc with padlocks. These are quite expensive to procure around £300 for a set of 14 (For all the handles) so a cheaper option would be better! 

I wanted to give casting my own resin based discs a go, we had a bit of a discussion on the RSOLES forum (https://groups.io/g/rsoles) which is a fabulous bunch of fellow R-Series fans a very kind chap lent me a disc so I could take a cast. 

This evenings project was creating a mould out of silicon I could cast some resin in. 

I cleaned the disc up a bit to begin with:





I noticed the the disc was shaped slightly which meant I needed to get it pressed into the mould in the right way.

 

I got the silicon into a water bath with washing up liquid in it, and I kneaded it in the water to begin the setting process without it sticking to my fingers! 


And then once it had gone a little stretchy pressed the disc home and built up round the edges a bit to make sure i had an accurate mould. 


The resin I am going to use is a two part Polyurethane resin which is typically used for Climbing holds that arrived today from Ireland which I am hopeful of a strong plastic that would deter casual thieves at the shows. Just need the mould to dry overnight, will update tomorrow. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to our family Tiny!

Two sides of the Iron Curtain

Oil Leaks - Fixed (Mostly)